For the Dough:
Canola oil, for bow
l1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, divided
1 c. whole milk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for bowl
1 large egg for the Filling and Assembly:
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
All-purpose flour, for work surface
2 1/4 c. (9 3/4 ounces) frozen blueberries for the Glaze:
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter (3/4 stick), at room temperature
1 c. confectioner’s sugar
4 tbsp. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- Make dough: Oil a bowl. Whisk together sugar, yeast, salt, and 1 3/4 cups flour in a second bowl. Cook milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until butter has melted and mixture reads between 105°F and 110°F on an instant-read thermometer, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add milk mixture and egg to flour mixture. Beat with a dough hook attached to an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Continue beating, gradually adding remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, until smooth and pliable, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer dough to prepared bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let rise, in a warm place, until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Make filling and assemble: Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Combine sugar and butter in a bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Spread with sugar mixture. Top with blueberries. Starting from one long side, roll into a log. Cut into 12 pieces and place, cut sides up, in prepared dish. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes.
- Make glaze: Whisk together cream cheese, butter, sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt in a bowl until smooth. Spread over rolls.